Solar In Regina, Saskatchewan - Micro Inverters Vs String Inverters
The question comes up "what is the difference between micro inverters vs central inverters". We believe they are both great systems and perform well in the right conditions. A perfectly due south solar system in a lab may have similar output results, but there are many other differences and conditions that need to be considered. Perfect conditions rarely exist in Saskatchewan.
Our 17 years in the renewable energy industry and real world experience with our Saskatchewan weather conditions (having installed both styles of systems) has given us valuable feedback and performance data. We have taken the way of the Micro Inverter.
- They produce more power, from 3%-15% depending on off south orientation, mounting angles, PV module choice.
- Saskatchewan weather condition performance (No cold weather shut down like some string inverters, snow cover, dust, debris, over cast, off south and complex roofs etc.)
- No single point of failure (string inverter down, whole system is down)
- Warranty coverage, From 12-25 years. (String inverters typically are 5-10 years and lower)
- Availability and cost of product
The studies below (click the PVEL logo) from independent testing labs can give you a further info on the advantages. In short, NO, string inverters with optimizers are not act or work "like" micro inverters.