Solar In Saskatchewan - Micro Inverters Vs String Inverters
The question comes up "what is the difference between micro inverters vs central inverters". We believe they are both great systems and perform well in the right conditions. A perfectly due south solar system in a lab may have similar output results, but there are many other differences and condtions that need to be considered.
Our 16 years in the renewable energy industry and real world experience with our Saskatchewan weather conditions (having installed both styles of systems) has given us valuable feedback and performance data. We have taken the way of the Micro Inverter exclusively.
- They produce more power, from 3%-15% depending on off south orientation, angles, PV module choice.
- Saskatchewan weather condition performance (snow, dust, debris, over cast, off south and complex roofs etc.)
- No single point of failure (string inverter down, whole system is down) We have NOT replaced one Micro Inverter to date. (Marketing tactics will try to convince you other wise.)
- Warranty coverage, 25 years. (String inverters typically are 10 years and lower)
- Availability and cost of product
The studies below (click the PVEL logo) from independent testing labs can give you a further info on the advantages. In short, NO, string inverters with optimizers are not act or work "like" micro inverters.